As Christmassy as snow and brussels sprouts….oh wait……. I forgot you guys do Christmas slightly differently than us in the Northern Hemisphere!
Anyway, quizzes are an integral part of the celebrations. So I thought I would go month by month, quizzing you guys on what’s happened in the sporting world in 2022. There are three easy, three medium, and three hard questions per month, with answers at the bottom. There’ll be a mixture of multiple-choice, and straightforward questions.
1. Which Aussie batter scored a century against England in the fourth Ashes test?
a) Marnus Labuschagne
b) David Warner
c) Usman Khawaja
2. Who won the Australian Open men’s singles?
3. Which continent had its football tournament in January, delayed from 2021?
c) North America
4. The futsal Euros were held in January, how many players are in a futsal team?
5. The biathlon European championships happened in January, what two sports does biathlon involve?
a) Downhill skiing and shooting
b) Cross-country skiing and shooting
c) Cross-country and downhill skiing
6. Who won the women’s Asia football cup?
7. Which of these countries DID compete at the ice-climbing World Championships?
8. Who won the Futsal euros?
9. How many players scored zero in the fifth test of the Ashes (both teams, both innings)?
10. Who won the 2022 Six Nations?
11. From which continent was the winner of the football Club World Cup?
12. Where were the Winter Olympics held?
13. How old was Russian ice skater Kamila Vaileva when she was investigated for drug use at the Winter Olympics?
14. Who won Super Bowl LVI?
a) Los Angeles Rams
b) Cincinnati Bengals
c) New York Patriots
15. Name one of the two captains for the NBA All-Star Game 2022
16. By how many points did Italy beat Wales in the 2022 Six Nations?
17. Name three nations to compete in the 2022 Rugby Europe Championship
18. Which player scored the most points at the 2022 Six Nations?
19. Who won the Women’s Cricket World Cup?
20. What nation were the male and female winners of the Tokyo Marathon both from?
21. Which country was banned from the Paralympic Winter Games?
c) Both of them
22. Who won the Paralympic Winter Games?
23. Which country are the Indian Wells masters held?
24. Name three of the four teams to get into the Women’s World Cup semi-finals (cricket)
25. How many stadiums were used in the Women’s World Cup?
26. How many teams competed at the Women’s World Cup?
27. Which African country won the World Athletics Indoor Championship?
28. Who won the NBA Play-offs?
29. What position in the world is Madrid Open winner Carlos Alcaraz?
30. In which country is the Emilia Romagna Formula 1 track?
31. What country is the Monaco ePrix winner Stoffel Vandoorne from?
32. Who were the only Super Rugby team to win against Kiwi opposition in the ANZAC & Super round?
33. The Liége-Bastogne-Liége bike race takes place in which country?
34. How many games did the NBA Play-off final take to find a winner?
35. How many teams were in the NBA Play-offs?
36. Which of these was unusual about the 2022 NFL Draft?
a) Zero quarterbacks were selected in the first round
b) Only one running back was selected in the first round
c) The first five picks were all defensive players
37. Who won the Champions League final, held in May?
38. Which nation was the European Champions Cup winner from?
39. Which city is the Monaco Grand Prix held in?
40. What nation is F1’s Red Bull Racing from, Spanish Grand Prix winner Max Verstappen’s team?
41. Which American city hosted its first-ever F1 race in May?
42. Rafael Nadal won which Grand Slam in May?
43. Which European club football tournament had its first-ever final hosted this May?
44. Who won her second-ever tennis Grand Slam in May?
45. The first cycling Grand Tour of 2022 was held in which country?
46. Who lost in the 2022 Wimbledon final?
47. And who won that final?
48. The US Open-winning golfer Matt Fitzpatrick is from which country?
49. Who won the PDC World Cup of Darts?
50. If my horse competed in the Epsom Derby, which country would I be in?
51. The inaugural Finalissima (football) was competed between Argentina and which other nation?
52. What edition of the NBA Draft took place in June?
53. By how many points did the Crusaders win the Super Rugby Pacific final?
54. How many Oceania Athletics Championships have there been in history?
55. Who was the surprise winner of the Tour de France?
56. Who hosted and won the women’s football euros?
57. The ‘World Games’ aim to fill gaps left by which multi-sport event?
58. The Maccabiah Games are a multi-sport event open only to athletes of which religion?
59. Who won the Open Championship and joined LIV Golf a month later?
60. At which racing track is the British Grand Prix held?
61. In which country was the Rugby Africa Cup confusedly held?
62. The World Athletics Championships were held in which American city?
63. Which area of Europe were both the hosts and winners of the World Orienteering Championships from?
64. Who won the Rugby Championship?
65. Who won Oleksandr Usyk vs Anthony Joshua II?
66. Which is the final Grand Tour of the year, after the Giro d’Italia and the Tour de France?
67. The postponed Jeux de la Francophonie is a multi-sport event for speakers od which language?
68. The Ypres Rally took place in which country?
69. Who won the US Open?
70. Name one of the two joint-top scorers of the Rugby Championship?
71. Who was the top try scorer at the Rugby Championship?
72. The World Beach Korfball Championships were held in August, what two sports is Korfball a mix of?
73. Who won the Berlin Marathon?
74. Who won the Rugby Sevens World Cup?
75. Where did Dragon Boat racing originate from?
76. The ‘Socca World Cup’ (spelling intentional) is a World Cup for how many a side football?
77. Who won the Lifesaving World Championships?
78. The modern pentathlon European championships took place in September, name two of the sports it consists of
79. The Presidents Cup (golf) was contested by a team representing America and a team representing who?
80. The Lever Cup is competed in what sport?
81. The 2022-23 NFL season started in September, in which month will it finish?
82. Who won the women’s Rugby World Cup?
83. Who won the Rugby League World Cup?
84. Who won the T20 World Cup?
85. Who won the Player of the Tournament at the T20 World Cup?
86. Who won the South America Championships (multi-sport)?
87. If my team was in the Copa Libertadores final, which sport would I be talking about?
88. Who won the London Marathon?
89. Name three of the four semi-finalists of the Women’s Rugby World Cup
90. Name three of the four semi-finalists of the Rugby League World Cup
91. Who won the first game of the FIFA World Cup?
92. Which nation shocked Argentina to win their first game at the FIFA World Cup?
93. In which country is the ATP Masters, held in Turin?
94. Sambo is a sport originating from which country?
95. Powerlifting involves how many sports?
96. By how many goals did England beat Iran at the FIFA World Cup?
97. In curling, what is the group of circles called?
98. Name the three French scorers to bag against the Socceroos
99. Softball is a close relative of which other ball game?
100. Who beat the Socceroos in their last 16 game?
101. How many a-side basketball is most popular, apart from 5-a-side?
102. Squash is played with which item?
103. Boccia is a sport closely related to which other?
104. Wushu originated from which country?
105. The Four Hills ski jumping tournament will take place later in December, what is the male world record for ski jumping in metres?
106. Goalball is predominantly played by people with which disability?
107. The Four Continents speed skating Championships took place earlier this month, what is the male 500m record?
a) 33 seconds
b) 43 seconds
c) 53 seconds
108. Argentina beat the Netherlands on penalties, but in what minute did the Netherlands make it 2-2?
Now for the answers, if you have any problems with the questions and/or answers, put them in the comments, and make sure to put your score in the comments as well!
1 c) Usman Khawaja
2 Rafael Nadal
3 a) Africa
5 b) Cross-country skiing and shooting
6 b) China
7 c) Iran
8 a) Portugal
12 Beijing and/or China
14 a) Los Angeles Rams
15 One of LeBron James and Kevin Durant
16 a) 1
17 Three of Romania, Spain, Georgia, Portugal, Russia, and the Netherlands
18 Marcus Smith
21 c) Both of them
24 Three of England, Australia, West Indies, and South Africa
28 The Golden State Warriors
32 The Brumbies
35 b) 16
36 c) The first five picks were all defensive players
37 Real Madrid
41 b) Miami
42 The French Open
43 The Europa Conference League
44 Iga Swiatek
46 Nick Kyrgios
47 Novak Djokovic
48 England (Great Britain or United Kingdom also accepted)
50 England (Great Britain or United Kingdom also accepted)
52 b) 76
54 c) 16
55 Jonas Vingegaard
57 The Olympics
59 Cameron Smith
64 New Zealand
65 Oleksandr Usyk
66 The Vuelta a Espana
69 Carlos Alcaraz
70 One of Emiliano Boffelli and Richie Mo’unga
71 Samisoni Taukei’aho
72 Basketball and netball
73 Eliud Kipchoge
78 Two of fencing, swimming, equestrian, shooting, and running
79 The Rest of the World
82 New Zealand
85 Sam Curran
88 Amos Kipruto
89 Three of Canada, New Zealand, France, and England
90 Three of Australia, New Zealand, England, and Samoa
92 Saudi Arabia
95 b) 3
97 The house
98 Adrien Rabiot, Oliver Giroud, and Kylian Mbappé
102 A racket
103 Bowls (or Pétanque)
105 b) 253
106 Visual impairment
107 a) 33 seconds
108 The 90+11th