These tasty bright green and red kebabs are loaded with pesto-like flavor but are dairy- and nut-free thanks to ground chia seeds replacing the parmesan and pinoli. Remember to soak the skewers and seeds for at least 20 minutes before using.
See other related recipes in Chewing on Chia Seeds
Yield: 8 (10-inch) kebabs
Prep time: 25 minutes, plus 2 hours marinating and additional broiling time
Shelf life: 1 to 2 days uncooked; best eaten within 1 day when cooked
8 (10-inch) bamboo skewers
1½ tablespoons chia seeds
⅓ cup plus ¼ cup water, divided
1 ounce (2 cups) basil leaves, coarsely chopped
½ ounce (3 large) cloves garlic
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
freshly ground black pepper
40 extra-large cleaned shrimp (about 1 pound), tails removed
32 cherry tomatoes
1 onion, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Soak the skewers in water to cover for at least 20 minutes or overnight. In a bowl, combine the chia seeds and the ⅓ cup of water and soak for at least 20 minutes.
- Once the seeds have softened, combine them in the jar of an electric blender with the remaining ¼ cup of water, basil, garlic, olive oil, salt, and black pepper. Start by pulsing the ingredients, scraping down the sides, then puree until completely smooth.
- Scrape marinade into a resealable plastic bag or flat bowl, add the shrimp, seal or cover, and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Line a jelly roll pan with foil. Position the broiler rack about 5 to 6 inches from the heat and turn to broil.
- Thread 5 shrimp onto each skewer, starting with a shrimp, followed by a cherry tomato and a slice of onion, and ending with a shrimp. Place in the pan, transfer to the broiler and cook for 3 to 4 minutes; turn and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes until done. Remove and serve.