What a disaster major league pitching has been this year. With the juiced ball on top of mounting injuries, we’re all plugging holes faster than Captain Ahab. If you’re in good shape in your pitching categories I recommend a conservative approach using a stopgap reliever until you can sort out something more permanent. Protect those ratios, maybe grab a few strikeouts, and figure out your fringe solution on your bench.
- It feels like Brad Hand does this once a year. He loses the feel or something and gets blown up for a short period. Tito said he won’t run from Hand which means something I suppose. Nick Wittgren or even Nick Goody are a short term stash if you’re in desperation mode.
- The Nats just haven’t been able to get their bullpen right this season. It was difficult getting a lead to Sean Doolittle intact. Now he’s on the IL and things are likely to get worse. Daniel Hudson blew a lead in his first appearance this week, though to be fair Wander Suero loaded the bases for him. Hunter Strickland broke his nose in a “bar” accident. Sure Hunter, it was a barbell, we all believe you. Let’s see who gets the call next but I’d still lean Hudson for the gig.
- Kevin Ginkel has been dynamite since Arizona called him up (9 INN/12 Ks/3 BB/ 2 ER). He was their AAA affiliate closer so he’s got the profile. We know that the Diamondbacks are allergic to Archie Bradley as their closer. He doesn’t have much rope to work with.
- Everyone who’s figured out a new option at closer step forward. Not so fast Mariners. Matt Magill’s brief period of effectiveness may be up. He took the loss last night giving up a ninth-inning bomb to Kevin Kiermaier followed by a single, a double, an IBB, and a walk-off wild pitch. Sam Tuivailala is the guy in that pen. I didn’t learn how to spell his name for nothing.
- Hard-throwing Orioles former-prospect Hunter Harvey has been brought up in a relief role. His numbers in the minors aren’t very special. Nevertheless, this is a bullpen out of options. Keep an eye on his progression into higher leverage roles.
Closers In Waiting
The next men up for saves. One break just needs to go their way.
K It Up
Get a category enhancer from these high K/9 strikeout artists.
- Nick Anderson
- Andres Munoz
- Adam Ottavino
- Matt Barnes
- Giovany Gallegos
- Jose Quijada
- Robert Stephenson