The Specialty Food Association Trendspotter Panel spent the past three days reporting on trend findings from the Winter Fancy Food Show, which closed yesterday at Moscone Center in San Francisco. Last November, the SFA released its Trendspotters’ predictions for the top trends of 2018. Throughout show days, Trendspotters sought out on-trend product innovations related to these predictions, as well as any new or emerging trends.
In line with the 2018 trend predictions, exhibitors showcased a plethora of plant-based products, alternative sweeteners, region-specific Middle Eastern foods, functional mushrooms, and moringa, according to Trendspotters’ reports from day 1 and day 2 of the Winter Show.
Here are some more trends and product innovations the panel spotted on Tuesday.
Snacks: Plant-based, better-for-you, unexpected flavor and form innovations. Examples:
- Pocas International Corp. Dragon Fruit Chips, a non-GMO chip made from dried dragon fruit
- Puffworks Snacks Peanut Butter Puffs, similar to a cheese puff but with 4 – 5 grams of protein
- Snackgold Charissa Gourmet Potato Crisps
Regional global flavors. Examples:
New twists on yogurt. Examples:
- Anita’s Coconut Milk yogurt alternative
- Morinaga Alove aloe yogurt with chewy bits of aloe
- Wunder Creamery Quark
More examples of these trends can be found by searching exhibitor listings in the Fancy Food Show app or on the specialtyfood.com Product Marketplace.