Dulorme: Me & Mikey Garcia Would Be A Great Fight

Now that Thomas Dulorme has ended a long layoff and defeated a previously unbeaten opponent, he wants a much bigger fight later this year.

The veteran welterweight contender has targeted Mikey Garcia, who is open to remaining in the 147-pound division if he can be matched against “the right guy.” Puerto Rico’s Dulorme might fit that description for Garcia because he is credible, but not nearly as accomplished or dangerous as Errol Spence Jr.

“There are a lot of good fights out there for me,” Dulorme told BoxingScene.com following his victory Saturday night over Terrel Williams. “The one I really want is Mikey Garcia. I think it would be a great fight and the fans would like it, especially having Mexico versus Puerto Rico.”

dulorme (3)

Garcia (39-1, 30 KOs) hasn’t fought since Spence soundly defeated him March 16 in Arlington, Texas. The 31-year-old Garcia, who has won world titles in four divisions, moved up two divisions, from lightweight to welterweight, to challenge Spence (25-0, 21 KOs) in that 12-rounder at the Dallas Cowboys’ AT&T Stadium.

The Oxnard, California, native told Showtime’s Steve Farhood during a “ShoBox: The New Generation” broadcast Friday night that he hopes to return to ring before the end of this year.

“I wanna come back,” Garcia said. “I wanna do something before the end of the year and look for something big early next year. But there’s still a lot more of Mikey Garcia left.”

Farhood then asked Garcia if he would return at the welterweight limit of 147 pounds or move back down to the junior welterweight maximum of 140 pounds, at which he has won the IBF title.

“One-forty or 147,” said Garcia, who stands four inches shorter than Dulorme. “If the fight is available with the right guy, I’ll do [147]. But I think [140] is a better-suited fit for me.”

Dulorme, meanwhile, beat Williams by unanimous decision in their 10-rounder. The 29-year-old Dulorme (25-3-1, 16 KOs) won 98-91, 98-91 and 96-93 in a fight FS1 aired from Rabobank Theater in Bakersfield, California.

A left hook by Dulorme dropped Los Angeles’ Williams with 1:03 remaining in the final round. Williams (18-1, 13 KOs) got up and took several flush right hands by Dulorme to make it to the final bell.

“I thought I would get to him earlier, but he was awkward,” said Dulorme, who fought through a sizeable cut over his left eye. “I could have done a lot better. We will take a month off, and then get back with my team and hopefully come back in December. My cuts should hopefully be healed by then.”

Keith Idec is a senior writer/columnist for BoxingScene.com. He can be reached on Twitter @Idecboxing.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*