FA urged to take action after ‘worst dive ever’ and hand ban to Brighton & Hove Albion player Pervis Estupinan against Charlton Athletic.
The Seagulls defender was criticised during Wednesday’s Carabao Cup loss to the Addicks as Roberto Di Zerbi’s team played out a 0-0 draw at The Valley with the tie going to a penalty shootout where the Premier League side lost 4-3.
Estupinan, who returned from World Cup action with Ecuador to feature, came off the bench for Billy Gilmour, but it was marred by a dive that led to anger with footage of it doing the rounds online.
Shameless housery. pic.twitter.com/ktftwFmSKZ
— Edward Walker (@edward_w97) December 22, 2022
After Charlton defender Ras-Sakyi fell while in possession, the full-back chased down the ball in his box.
Both players tried to get onto the ball, only for Rak-Sakyi to retract his challenge before any contact was made with the Brighton player. Estupinan, however, went down and claimed a penalty as though there had been clear contact.
No spot kick was awarded, but the Ecuadorian international escaped any kind of booking by the referee for simulation, something officials were previously told to take more action on.
League One Charlton shocked top-flight Brighton with penalties, after a goalless draw that saw them reach the quarter-finals in the Carabao Cup.
Brighton was unable to score in the first half due to poor defence by the Addicks.
Charlton is now the only non-Premier League team to make it to the last eight.
Chief Charlton caretaker Anthony Hayes said that it was a “special night, a spectacular performance”.
Although the Seagulls won with 18 shots, they were unable to convert their chances.
Although the shootout was chaotic with six of the first nine kicks being missed, Charlton won the match 4-3 with Sam Lavelle sparking celebrations with home fans when he scored victory with the 14th attempt.
“It’s a special night,” said chief Charlton caretaker Anthony Hayes, via LondonNewsOnline.
“A special performance. We needed a bit of luck, rode our luck at times against a high calibre Premier League side. I’ve got so much admiration for how they play the game. We needed to suffer a lot without the ball. To stay in a solid shape. It would have been nice to have carried a little bit more of a threat in the second half but when you’re against that calibre of opposition it’s difficult.
“It’s a special night. Delighted that we’re able to swing the mood and send the fans home happy, particularly this side of Christmas.
“It gives everyone a lift. It’s one that the fans, the players, the staff, we won’t forget. We’ve got a quarter final tie to look forward to. But we have to use this as a springboard going into our league campaign.
“I thought how we defended back to front all night was outstanding. You need a bit of luck but we showed some resolve, grit and character in the moments they really started to get ion top in the game. I thought the least we deserved was a penalty shootout.
“The fans respond to those effort levels. I said at the end: ‘That’s the minimum requirement when you wear this badge. The quality has to improve but if we have that as a base, not many teams will beat this.”
Roberto De Zerbi said sorry to the 6000-plus travelling Brighton fans.
De Zerbi said: “I’m sorry for the result and sorry for our fans, we wanted to win the game and play in the quarter-finals.
“I think we played a good game, not a fantastic game but enough to win the game.
“We made a lot of mistakes in the last five metres.
“We had opportunities to score.
“And in penalties you can lose.
“We had match point with March but we made another mistake and when you make another mistake you have to lose.”
The post FA urged to take action after ‘worst dive ever’ and hand ban to Brighton player appeared first on Fan Banter.