Former Wallabies second-rower Adam Coleman was sent off in a nasty front-on tackle for London Irish on Friday night.
The 31-year-old, who played 38 Tests and last appeared for the Wallabies in their World Cup exit against England in 2019, was given his marching orders early in their 29-20 upset win over Saracens.
Coleman’s shoulder made direct contact with Tom Woolstencroft’s jaw and saw the Saracens forward stretchered off.
The London Irish captain showed remorse, but it was yet another sickening blow that once again exposed his tackle technique.
Indeed, the tackle is exactly what World Rugby is trying to eradicate from the game: front-on tackles, with little to no dropping of the hips.
It was Coleman’s third red card in as many games. He is expected to cop a long ban.
His Wallabies teammate Rob Simmons was also shown a yellow card late in the match, but the exiles managed to hold on in front of new England coach Steve Borthwick, who was watching in the stands.
Wallabies livewire moving closer to a new deal with Rugby Australia
Tate McDermott is on the cusp of signing a new long-term deal with RA and the Queensland Reds.
As revealed by The Roar last week, McDermott and his teammate Fraser McReight have agreed in principle to a new deal but it is not yet crystalised because of the ongoing debate between RA, the states and the Rugby Union Players’ Association, with the new contracting model.
Nine’s Michael Atkinson confirmed the report last week, revealed by The Roar’s Christy Doran.
Atkinson added that McDermott would look to play at the 2024 Olympics.
McDermott, 24, played for the Australian Sevens side before making his debut for the Wallabies in 2020.
World Cup-winning coach Steve Hansen reveals his ‘surprise’ at Eddie Jones’ axing
All Blacks coaching great Steve Hansen believes Eddie Jones’s big focus on next year’s Rugby World Cup probably cost him his England job.
Hansen has been appointed to guide a World XV against a Barbarians team coached by Jones at Twickenham in May.
The 2015 World Cup winner admitted he was taken aback at the timing of the England decision to axe their Australian coach.
“It was pretty surprising that they would replace him now, when all along Eddie’s been saying ‘look, this is what we’re building for’,” Hansen said.
“He’s been their most successful coach in history. Some might say that Clive (Woodward) is because he won a World Cup. However, the record speaks for itself, doesn’t it?
“I know Eddie had a big focus on the World Cup and that’s probably what in the end cost him, because he didn’t have such a good autumn and people were frustrated by that.”
Jones can boast a 73 per cent winning record with England over his seven years in charge from 2015, and he took them to the last World Cup final in Japan with a masterpiece semi-final victory over the All Blacks.
But he was sacked on December 6 following a disappointing autumn internationals campaign having finished third in the Six Nations with a 2-3 record early in the year.
Rugby Australia has sounded out former Wallabies coach Jones about a possible return home, while other nations have also expressed interest in his services.
“You relish every chance to go against Eddie,” said Hansen. “We’ve known each other for a long, long time and he’s a good rugby man.
“With Eddie, you’ve got to expect the unexpected, because one of his great attributes is his ability to analyse the opposition and set traps for them.
“He’s a great planner, that’s why he’s been so successful with so many sides in different World Cups, having won one with South Africa (as advisor).”
Italian prop to play for Benetton as alleged player revealed for racist act
Cherif Traore – the Guinea-born Italian prop, who moved to Parma as a youngster – will take to the field for Benetton this weekend.
The 28-year-old was the victim of an abhorrent act of racism this week, as he received a banana as a Secret Santa “gift”.
Traore later said he had accepted an apology for what happened at a team meeting.
His club issued two statements on the issue on Wednesday, but made no suggestion they planned to investigate the incident or take action against the player responsible.
However, on Thursday, the United Rugby Championship demanded that Benetton launch a full inquiry in the expectation of sanctioning those responsible.
In a subsequent change of tone, the club issued a third statement saying the national sports prosecutors’ office would look into what had happened “in order to protect the founding values and reputation of the game”.
It added: “At the same time, Benetton Rugby has decided to suspend as a precautionary measure, for the entire duration of the investigations by the prosecutors, one of its own players.”
They did not name the player.
The URC said: “Benetton have been asked to provide a full report on what has occurred and what meaningful action will be taken as a result.
“Racism and discrimination of any kind are abhorrent, completely unacceptable in society and are utterly counter to the values of the sport of rugby and the URC.”
Reports out of Italy, however, have since named Ivan Nemer as the alleged culprit. Nemer, who was born in Argentina, has played 11 Tests for Italy.